Cancer and its treatment has remained a focus area for us at Shree Krishna Hospital for well over a decade now. We know that while physical pain and the cancer itself have to be treated, it is equally important to treat the spirit of the patient. Which is why we're dedicated to offering our patients treatment with care with compassion. Over 500 Patients for Cancer surgeries, 2000 patients on radiation and 2500 patients with chemotherapy treated every year.
Manibhai Shivabhai Patel Cancer Centre
Being a tobacco growing belt, the Charutar region has a high rate of tobacco consumption leading to an increased occurrence of oral cancer among the local populace. High incidence of breast and cervical cancer among women of a certain age has also been recorded. To battle this worsening situation, Manibhai Shivabhai Patel Cancer Centre was established in 2004 with generous contribution from Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and Manibhai Shivabhai brothers. It houses state-of-the-art cancer equipments in radiation, medical and surgical oncology and is dedicated to the delivery of compassionate and expert care to the cancer patients. It also adheres to the motto of advancing its mandate of providing high quality training in understanding, diagnosing, treating, palliating, preventing and researching in the field of cancer.
The Centre was inaugurated on 27th August, 2004 by Shri Ratan Tata, Chairman, Tata Sons Limited. It boasts of full time Medical Oncologist, Radiation Oncologist, Medical Physicists and Radiation Technologists and also benefits from the services of visiting Medical and Surgical Oncologists.
- Radiation Therapy
- Daycare Chemotherapy Center
- Bone Marrow Transplant Center
Solid Tumors: Head & Neck cancers, Lung cancer, Breast cancer, GI cancers, GU cancers, Gynaec cancers, Bone cancers, Sarcomas including pediatric tumors like Rhabdomyosarcoma, Ewings, PNET's, etc
Hematological malignancies: Lymphoma and Leukemias (Adult/Paediatric), Multiple Myelomam Myeloproliferative disorders. Use of modern drug delivery system like ambulatory pumps and long term catheter and ports.
- 3-D Conformal radiation therapy (3DCRT): delivers high radiation dose to tumor but safeguards healthy tissue.
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) : It is a revolutionary new modality in which radiation beams are shaped by 80 computer-collimator leaves (Fingers) that wrap the radiation dose around the tumor, thus sparing healthy tissue and hence reduction of severe side effects of radiotherapy treatment.
- Volumetric Arc Therapy (VMAT)/ Rapid ARC : Technology which gives dose distribution similar to IMRT but delivers treatment in shorter duration (2 – 6 minutes depending up on complexity of treatment ).
- Image guided Radiotherapy (IGRT) : It is form of radiotherapy where in before delivering actual radiation dose, accuracy of treatment is being verified by acquiring online imaging ( either 2D X-ray , 3D cone beam CT Scan , 4D Cone beam CT Scan) on treatment couch and correction of necessary parameter done based on planning imaging. We have state of art “SymmetryTM” Motion Management for Moving Targets that is 4 D imaging on the LA couch ( 1st in south east Asia since year 2011).
- Frameless Stereotatic Radiosurgery/SRS ( X-Knife ) : It is a non-invasive ( painless /blood less/ no anaesthesia required ) method to treat benign/malignant brain tumors & arteriovenous malformations without harming neurologic function. Stereotatic radio surgery allows highly contoured radiation distribution to be delivered to the lesion without damaging vital areas of the brain. With the help of 6 Degree of freedom Robotic couch ( HexapodTM) treatment is executed within 1 mm and 1 degree accuracy. In SRS, Sittings of radiation may vary from 1 to 5 sittings and duration of treatment in each sitting is between 8-15 minutes. Stereotactic radiotherapy/SRT is same like stereotactic radiosurgery but it is used for prolong treatment of 5- 6 weeks duration.
- Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT/SABR) :It is also a form of radiosurgery but it is used in extracranial location. Instead of prolong radiotherapy course of 5-8 weeks, here with this technique treatment could have been completed in mere 1 day to 10 days depending up on sittings planned from 1 to 5.
It is being used in various sites of cancer mentioned below :
- Lung cancer & oligo lung metastasis ( first in India to start single sitting radiosurgery in lung metastasis )
- Prostate cancer ( first in Gujarat to start prostate radiosurgery )
- Pancreatic cancer
- Liver cancer or oligo liver metastasis ( first in Gujarat )
- Recurrent head and neck cancer for repetition of radiotherapy course (first in Gujarat )
- Spine metastasis ( first in Gujarat )
- Oligo metastatic lymphnode
- Inoperable Kidney Cancer
- Breast cancer : as a part of Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI)
- Image based Brachytherapy :its technique of radiotherapy during which radioactive sources are temporarily placed through the catheters implanted into the tumor which is called high dose rate or HDR brachytherapy. It includes Intracavitory radiotherapy, Vaginal brachytherapy, Intraluminal radiotherapy, Interstitial brachytherapy.
- Electron beam treatment : It is used in skin cancer treatment and sometimes in conjugation with photon treatment.
- Total skin electron treatment (TSET) :It is used in the treatment of very specific disease called as cutaneous lymphoma. We are only centre in Gujarat to have this facility.
- Treatment Planning System : MONACO 5.11, MONACO 3.30 & ONCENTRA 4.3Monaco is based on monte carlo, the most robust dose calculation algorithm exists till date. It is highly precise in the calculation of radiotherapy dose. We are first in India to use this software since year 2011.
- Mosaiq TM Record and verify system ( R & V) :It keep computerized record of radiation delivery and ensure that patients have completed treatment properly.
- Quality assurance (QA) :Machine QA and patient specific QA. We have got certificate from M D Anderson Cancer hospital, Houston Texas USA and from France regarding accuracy of our QA at par with international standards.
- Beam Matching Facility :In view of we have two Linear Accelerators with similar capability. In case of breakdown of one linear accelerator, patient can be shifted to another machine without treatment gap. We are the only center in Gujarat for it.
Major Cancer surgeries performed at the Center are as follows:
- Head and Neck Cancer: Mandible conserving surgery, larynx,conserving surgery nerve sparing parotid surgery, commando surgery, plastic reconstruction using free flaps, etc
- Breast Cancer: Breast conserving surgery, Modified radical mastectomy
- Lung Cancer: Sleeve resection, pneoumonectomy
- GI Cancer: Total esophagectomy, Radical gastrectomy, Whipples surgery, sphincter preserving surgeries for rectal carcinoma
- Gynaec Cancer: Fertility preserving surgeries dor cervical cancer, Radical surgeries for ovarian cancer
- Bladder Cancer surgeries: Radical cysectomy
- Bone cancer surgeries
- Sarcomas: Limb preserving surgeries
- Chronic venous access devices: Insertion of hickmans catheter and ports.
- A Dedicated and Experienced Team of Full-Time Medical Oncologists, Radiation Oncologists and Surgical oncologists.
- A dedicated team of Physiotherapists, Dietitians and Counselors Who Help in Recovery and Rehabilitation.
- State-of-the-Art Linear Accelerators.
- Rehabilitation Support
- NABH Accredited Labs & Imaging Services
- NACO & NABH Accredited Blood Bank
- Green OT Certified OTs
- Green Hospital Awarded Set-up
- NABH Accredited Medical Services
- NABH Accredited Nursing Services
- Dr. Rushi Panchal
- Dr Amruta Pripathy
- Dr. Inderpreet Kaur
- Dr. Girish Mishra
- Dr Riddhi Trivedi
- Dr. Bhavna Parikh
- Dr. Nirav Asarawala
- Dr. Priyanka Srivastava